Thursday 11 June 2015

Here goes!

Hi there, I'm pleased to meet you! This is my first attempt at blogging, so please bear with me while I try to get to grips with the technology.

Let me introduce myself.  My name is Gill and I'm addicted to anything to do with fabric, thread, or any textile.  I teach patchwork to 2 lovely groups of ladies who are fast becoming as mad about it as I am.  As well as teaching (from my own business - yes, you guessed it - the stitch class!), I also embroider, make felt, handbags, dolls, and various mixed media "bits".  I'm also a keen gardener and baker. I'm married with 2 grown up sons and have a gorgeous dog called Daisy.  If all else fails, I will sometimes resort to doing housework, though I really try not to.

So, what have I been doing this week?  Well, I've been making handbags:






The top two are described as "Bridesmaid Clutches" although one of my friends reckon they're cosmetic bags.  I think I prefer  clutches.  They measure 10 1/2" by 6 1/2" and are quite easy to make.  There's a tutorial for them on the Martha Stewart Show website.

The lower 2 photos are clamshell clutches.  You buy the frame with two separate hard 
"shells".  They're a little fiddly, but good fun to make.  I've just ordered some more and will have great fun choosing fabric for them.  You can find similar ones on the wonderful Lisa Lam website: www.u-handbag.com 

I've also been tending my newly built raised vegetable beds - the rocket is indeed rocketing, and the carrots, beetroot, kale, pak choi, leeks, lettuce, fennel, cauliflowers, strawberries, onions and shallots are coming along very nicely, thank you!  The courgettes and squash are sulking a bit, but a very kind fellow dog walker has brought me a rather sturdier looking plant today, which I will plant out tomorrow.  I think I will be vegetarian for a while when it's all ready!
 Pak choi


Well, we've survived the first blog together.  I think that deserves a cuppa.  

See you soon,

Gill  x

    

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to blog land. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, although I must admit that Facebook has taken over now. It's a kind of mini blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, thank you - it's so exciting! Is that sad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh!! Nice to actually know the writer of a "blog". I tend to get carried away with them, 'cos they are usually from over the big pond.
    All the best Jose. How do you like my "monica"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been watching the Clangers too, then, Jose! Thanks for reading.x

    ReplyDelete